5.13.2013

The Second Generation: Joanna Donley

When I was born, I was destined to come to the Bible Institute because I was a staff kid.

I remember being in fifth grade and having to diagram sentences, and I didn’t like it. So, when Bible Institute students would come to my house and they were diagramming verses, I thought, “I do not want to go to the Bible Institute and diagram verses!” But I got over that. I wanted a biblical education before going to a secular school so I would have a solid foundation. And I really wanted to come because my dad really wanted me to.

I always wanted to go to the Bible Institute in Brazil or Hungary, where they teach in English, but I heard about Jeju in a newsletter, and it sounded different. It was in Korea, and on an island, and the community (of students and staff) was smaller.

One major thing I’m learning is about running the race set before you. God has called us to run a race, and we need to be trained and equipped to do that. People who run marathons train for years and years, and people who are in the Olympics train their whole lives. God told us to run our race, and I just need to stay focused and remember that this year is training for the rest of my life. What I learn here will affect the course of my life, and I need to run and not give up.

I love it here. It has exceeded all of my expectations. I was really nervous because I thought everyone would be Korean and I was American, but it has worked out well.

Click here to read about Joanna's mom, Valerie, Class of 1983, and her cousin, Jay van den Akker, Class of 2013.

For more second generation stories, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment