8.15.2014

Where Are They Now? Dr. Joseph Stowell


Dr. Joseph Stowell is an internationally recognized conference speaker who has written several books and works with a variety of Christian organizations. His ministry began in the 1970s, though, when he not only pastored churches in the Midwest but also was an early guest lecturer at the newly founded Bible Institute in New York.

Dr. Stowell taught Philippians and Genesis, and he also gave special separate devotions for the guy and girl students on dating and personal relationships.

After 17 years pastoring in Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan, Dr. Stowell served as the president of Moody Bible Institute from 1987 to 2005. He also preached at churches and conferences and wrote books, booklets, and magazine articles. He’s been the president of Cornerstone University (Grand Rapids, Michigan) since 2008 and also has an Internet ministry with Radio Bible Class Ministries. He and his wife, Martie, have three adult children and 10 grandchildren.

What was your first connection with Word of Life?
As a boy growing up in Hackensack, New Jersey, I would often go to the Word of Life meetings held in Times Square in New York City. Later, I asked my girlfriend to marry me on the beach in Schroon Lake. She was a waitress at the Inn.

What are some of your memories from teaching at the Bible Institute?
I loved the interaction with the students and the teaching atmosphere (in Council Hall).

Whose life has impacted yours the most spiritually, and why?
My father, my wife, Howard Hendricks, and Haddon Robinson. My dad, for his character and faithful service to Christ. My wife Martie’s godly life and wise perspectives. Howard Hendricks, for his love of God’s Word, and Haddon Robinson, for teaching me how to preach. Plus many others who have influenced me along my journey with Christ.

How do you want to be remembered?
As a faithful servant of Christ whose life and ministry reflected well on Jesus and brought glory to His name. As a good husband, loving father, and faithful friend.

What one thing would you like to communicate with our alumni?
Love God! Love others!

Dr. Stowell will be speaking at next spring’s Founder’s Conference (March 27-29).

No comments:

Post a Comment