8.13.2014

Investing in the bank of Heaven: A message from the chancellor.

Walking down an airport jetway recently, I noticed a man carelessly dropping money ahead of me. Trying to get his attention, I called after him. His flippant response caught me off-guard. He yelled, “Keep it. Where I am going it has no value!”

While I am not sure if this man was headed to the moon or to the Amazon jungle, his statement reminded me of what should be foundational for every Christian. Philippians 3:20 says, “For our citizenship is in Heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.” You and I are literally just passing through this world on our way to Heaven. As temporary residents, any earthly treasures accumulated have no value where we are ultimately headed. Do not forget Jesus Christ’s challenge to His disciples in Matthew 6:20: “Lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven.”

In other words, make your deposits in the “Bank of Heaven.” Invest in the things that last forever. From chapels and classes at the Bible Institute, you know well that only two things will last for all eternity: the Word of God and the souls of men. Any future studies, your life’s work, and your resources should all be passionately leveraged for Heaven. So while you serve God with everything you have on this planet, remember where you are headed. You are just passing through. The only treasures you can take with you into eternity are the Scriptures and souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment