8.14.2014

Refresh: Real change.

By Hayley J. Miller

Do you believe in change? I mean, beyond a quick “yes.” That one sin, bad habit, tendency you or I havedo you believe it can change? Do people really change?

We can get discouraged at times by the lack of change in ourselves or others. The truth is that most of us are actually resistant to change even though we act like we seek it. We celebrate the face of change but can get defensive when it poses a threat to us or our preferences. Christians see a life changed as something good — as long as we stay distanced from the discomforts of it ourselves.

I like change and seek it. I love to help others change and also enjoy improving programs, redecorating rooms, or celebrating diversity.

I am thankful for changes in my past. While attending the Bible Institute, it seemed that God changing me was rapid and contagious. But, “settling in,” do I now see change as an uncomfortable inconvenience not worth striving for? When the stakes are obviously high, I am desperate for change. When they are not so obvious or not so high, though, my commitment to change is relaxed.

Someone close to me once said they did not think people ever truly change. My jaw dropped and heart sunk as if I had taken a blow. I knew this is not what my Savior died and rose again for. He died so you and I can experience genuine change — not merely behavioral or cultural change, but a deep change that makes us different in substance entirely.

Miles J. Stanford describes it this way in Principles of Spiritual Growth: “As the result of the work of His cross, and as the grand issue of His resurrection, eternal life is received already by those who believe. But while that life is itself victorious, incorruptible, indestructible, the believer has to come by faith to prove it, to live by it, to learn its laws, to be conformed to it. ... The course of spiritual experience, of spiritual life, is to discover, to appropriate, and to live by all that the life represents and means.”

Or, in other words, to change.

If you know Christ, but genuine change is frustrating you right now, would you consider digging deeper? Change is not hopeless, nor should we try to make sin or character flaws beautiful or acceptable.

The source of change must be us experientially tapping into the power and resources that Christ’s death and resurrection have provided. Let’s not excuse sin in our lives, take it lightly, or give in to it. Let’s not be depressed that we are struggling with change. Don’t settle for the thoughts of “I will always be this way” or “It’s just who I am.” Christ died so you can progressively look more and more like Him — one layer at a time, one element at a time, one character flaw or sin at a time.

Change is waiting. Here are a few steps that can help you continue the practical side of this discussion and move toward genuine change:
  • Read and journal Romans 6-8 (additional studying and commentary use might help)
  • Check out either Principles of Spiritual Growth by Miles J. Stanford or consider The Normal Christian Life by Watchmen Nee.

Hayley’s passion is to offer clear communication that will cause genuine change. Her ministry is multifaceted, as she assists the vice president of Local Church Ministries while editing curriculum, speaking at conferences, writing, marketing, and equipping one generation to evangelize and disciple the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment