6.23.2014

Resembling our Father: A message from the chancellor.

“Excuse me, sir... but do you know who you look like?” I hear it all the time — in airports, restaurants, and malls. Much to my chagrin, I am often mistaken for a well-known movie star. While I prefer to leave this person’s identity to your imagination, I must confess that I have been tempted to sign autographs on his behalf on more than a few occasions. Regardless of what people might think, my life is far removed from Hollywood stardom.

On the other hand, what a delight and encouragement it is when I am told that I resemble my father. My appearance, walk, and words are all strikingly similar to his. This is certainly no surprise, because from my childhood I learned from him and aspired to be like him in every way. Today, I consider it the highest compliment when a person identifies me with my dear dad.

In Ephesians 5:1, the Apostle Paul challenges the Ephesian believers with the command, “Be imitators of God as dear children.” Just like a child mimics his earthly father, Christians should strive to imitate their Heavenly Father in every way. This means learning how to walk in love as Jesus Christ did (5:2). It involves despising the darkness of this decaying and sinful world (5:3-14). It requires living wisely and leveraging every opportunity to serve and represent Him (5:15-21).

So ... who do you look like, anyway? Do people clearly see an unmistakable resemblance to your Heavenly Father? Live out your true identity as a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment