6.27.2014

Q&A: Rich Andrews


Director of Ministries, Word of Life Florida

Ministry Timeline
Camper, Word of Life Ranch (1981, 1986-87)
Camper, Word of Life Island (1988-1991)
Bible Institute student: first year (1992), second year (1995)
Camp staff, Island (1992-1994, 2000)
Impact Singers (1992-1993)
Impact Team (1993-1998)
Camp director, Ranch (1995-1999)
Camp staff, Word of Life Florida (2001-2013)
Camp director, Florida (2005-present)
Director of Ministries, Florida (May 2013-present)

Family
Wife: Lynn Fahning Andrews (Class of 1994); married for 19 years
Children: Gavyn (15), Javen (13), Lynneah (11)

What was your first connection with Word of Life?
A Word of Life staff member brought a group of Bible Institute students to my home church, Bethany Baptist Church in Mount Clemens, Michigan, and did a Vacation Bible School-style event. I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior at that event.

Whose life has impacted yours the most spiritually, and why?
God has allowed me to be mentored by several great men, but the biggest impact was made by George Theis. Our relationship began on my first Collegian tour, when he confronted me about talking while he was talking and followed it up with this statement: “You and I are either going to be the best of friends when this tour is over or the worst of enemies.” I’m so glad I chose friendship! He and his wife, Joan, continue to be a great encouragement to me and my wife, Lynn.

How were you impacted as a camper?
My first week of camp was in 1981 at Word of Life Ranch, and I hated it, missed home, ate too much candy, and was just miserable. When I was 14, though, I dedicated my life to the Lord on Kenya Hill.

How were you impacted as a student?
My first year was 1991-1992, and God used that year to change the direction of my life. I was involved in Collegians and developed a love for the technical side of theater. Through that, I decided to stay for another year and travel with the Impact Singers.

What is unique about the Word of Life Florida Youth Camp?
One of the unique aspects of the Florida Youth Camp is the number of church groups that come. We have very few individuals, so there’s a great dynamic between the youth leaders and pastors and our staff. It’s been called the “best camp in the universe” by some, but I think what makes all the Word of Life camps unique are the Bible Institute students serving as counselors. It’s very unique in the Christian camping world to have so many trained young people as counselors.

What’s new for summer 2014?
In 2014, we’re working hard to grow the Bible Institute as well as the Youth Camp. We’ve had several projects take place over the last year that have added so much to the property, and now we’re working to get the word out about this incredible ministry.

What types of ministries are the Bible Institute students involved in?
The Bible Institute students are involved in children’s evangelism, drama, praise band, and ensemble as well as Open Air Evangelism and ministering to groups that come to the Youth Retreat Center. We also were part of the new traveling tour Magi. We had 20 of our students travel with us for the production during the Christmas break.

How can we pray for your ministry?
You can pray for me personally as I balance my time between my family and that God would continue to grow the ministry of Word of Life Florida. We believe there are great days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment