10.03.2012

Q&A: Jeff Lewis.


The newest dean of men at the Bible Institute’s New York campus has brought a measure of thrill-seeking to the Christian walk. While discipling students and teaching classes, Jeff Lewis makes the most of God’s creation, from kayaking in the summer to snowboarding in the winter  with hikes up and down the Adirondack Mountains in between.

Jeff’s path to ministering at the Bible Institute began at Schroon Lake. (Full disclosure: This dean of men comes highly recommended by the alumni director.) He grew up in the Word of Life family and attended the Bible Institute in 1998. He then studied Bible exposition and later Biblical counseling at The Master’s College in Santa Clarita, California and became resident director there. In 2009, he joined the Bible Institute staff at the New York campus, serving as the assistant dean of men for two years.

Now as dean of men, Jeff is responsible for the leadership development on campus. He also speaks at campus services, teaches electives, and helps with the Contemporary Issues class for second-year students.

What do you like about your role at the Bible Institute?

The thing I enjoy most about my job is its diversity and how it creates a number of different ways to interact with students. One day I may be talking through a significant family situation with a student over lunch, and the next we may be on the local ski mountain in one of the winter physical education classes.

What about the Bible Institute separates it from other schools and ministries?

One of the things I appreciate about the Bible Institute experience is the number of opportunities in which the students get to apply what they are learning in the immediate context of this campus and beyond. I have always appreciated how Word of Life puts an emphasis on taking what you have learned and looking for opportunities to serve.


Tell us about what you like to do in your free time.

My hobbies generally involve the outdoors. While I love the weather in California, it’s nice to be back in a part of the country with seasons, and all of the activities that come with them. In the spring and summer I enjoy heading out with my friends to go kayaking in the rivers up here. In the winter we like to grab our snowshoes and snowboards and take off in search of new routes to ride in the High Peaks. I also like biographies, documentaries, listening to blues guitar music and getting to “babysit” my brother’s Harley Davidson when he’s deployed overseas.

What sticks with you the most from your time at the Bible Institute?

A couple of things stand out to me from my Bible Institute year. One was the opportunity to travel to Israel with Dr. Tom Davis, Dr. Charles Ryrie, and Dr. Joe Jordan on a study trip. That gave me a love for the country and motivation to go back for an entire semester later in college to study the Bible in the context where its events occurred. I talked Dr. Ryrie into riding a camel with me on that trip while we were in Jericho, so that was a pretty memorable experience.

When I think about my Bible Institute year, I also think about how I benefited tremendously from the variety of guest lecturers, and I remember my classmates. There were so many great people on my soccer team, in my dorm and across campus. I’m still not sure how such solid friendships were forged in just the space of that one year, but it’s something I’m thankful for to this day.

Film producer Andy Erwin stopped by the other day, and we were laughing about filming a Snow Camp video at two o'clock in the morning while rappelling from the roof of the field house. Who knew he’d actually be involved in the film industry one day?

How has your perspective shaped how you help students?

As I think about that question, I’m realizing a lot of what I try to push the current students toward is based on how much I gained from my experience here. Along those lines, I tell students to jump into the year and embrace all of it classroom, ministry opportunities, and relationships. At the same time, I want them to understand that the knowledge and experience gained from these things is meant to be taken into future phases of life. While the Bible Institute year or two is unique in itself, the realities of the Christian life learned and sharpened here are intended to equip them for an ever-deepening relationship with the Lord and a resolve to serve others toward that end in whatever context the Lord places them.

Do you have someone at Word of Life you would like to hear from in a Q&A? Email alumni@wol.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment