9.10.2012

Why am I here? A message from the chancellor.

By Don Lough, Jr.

In the rush of life, it’s all too easy to lose sight of the fact that God has placed us on this earth for a purpose. Philippians 2:15 reminds us that God has strategically placed us “in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation” and that we are to “shine as lights in the world.” We are not here simply to exist. Our lives should be all about taking every opportunity to show and share the difference that Christ can make in life.

I was reminded of this truth while waiting for a flight a few months ago. I couldn’t help but notice a businessman just a few seats away. He was sobbing uncontrollably as he talked on the phone. It was clear that he was coming to terms with some very difficult news. To be honest, my first instinct was to find another place to sit. After all, this man really needed some privacy, right?

Then I was reminded, “Why am I here?” I knew this had to be a divine appointment. With my heart pounding, I slid next to the man and asked, “Sir, are you going to be okay? Would you mind if I pray for you?” His hostile response caught me off guard: “No — I don’t believe in God!” I said, “Excuse me, sir, I don’t know what you are going through, but God does exist, whether you believe in Him or not. Matter of fact, God loves you, and it’s pretty obvious that you need Him right now.” With words punctuated with profanity and sobbing, he began to unfold his story. He was highly educated and a successful robotics engineer. He admitted to me, “Until today, I thought I was God.” The devastating phone call had come from his son, his pride and joy, who was a professional athlete in the National Hockey League. He had called to tell his dad that his career was likely over and that he was on his way to rehab and prison for possession and use of drugs.

I responded, “Sir, I have some more bad news for you. God, in His Word, says that not only are you not God, but you are not even good” (Romans 3). I continued, “You said you don’t believe in God, right? Has it occurred to you that God put us together today? I could’ve sat in any number of seats in this airport. My being here at this exact moment is no accident. God has to exist!” He nodded affirmatively and replied, “You got me.” I prayed for him and his son and gave him a Gospel tract before we parted ways. While I’ve not been able to reconnect with this man, there’s no doubt that this was an assignment from God.

Of course, we all have work to do, places to go, and people to meet. But the primary reason we are here is to represent Christ and to “hold forth the Word of Life” to this world that so desperately needs Him. I’m convinced that God puts divine appointments on our calendars every day. Our responsibility is to recognize and seize these opportunities to share what Christ has done in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment